Usually we find it difficult to control our mind. It seems as if our mind is like a balloon in the wind – blown here and there by external circumstances. If things go well, our mind is happy, but if they go badly, it immediately becomes unhappy. For example, if we get what we want, such as a new possession or a new partner, we become excited and cling to them tightly. However, since we cannot have everything we want, and since we will inevitably be separated from the friends and possessions we currently enjoy, this mental stickiness, or attachment, serves only to cause us pain. On the other hand, if we do not get what we want, or if we lose something that we like, we become despondent or irritated. For example, if we are forced to work with a colleague whom we dislike, we will probably become irritated and feel aggrieved, with the result that we will be unable to work with him or her efficiently and our time at work will become stressful and unrewarding. Such fluctuations of mood arise because we are too closely involved in the external situation. We are like a child making a sandcastle who is excited when it is first made, but who becomes upset when it is destroyed by the incoming tide. By training in meditation, we create an inner space and clarity that enables us to control our mind regardless of the external circumstances. Gradually we develop mental equilibrium, a balanced mind that is happy all the time, rather than an unbalanced mind that oscillates between the extremes of excitement and despondency.
If we train in meditation systematically, eventually we will be able to eradicate from our mind the delusions that are the causes of all our problems and suffering. In this way, we will come to experience a permanent inner peace, known as “liberation” or “nirvana”. Then, day and night in life after life, we will experience only peace and happiness.
There are several meditation techniques. When I first started meditating, I found it very difficult to calm the mind. I had to do what are called "breathing meditations", where I would just focus on my breathing, inhaling and exhaling. It took several months just to be able to calm my mind for an extended amount of time, and not let all the thoughts and worries of everyday life creep in.
I looked into the Chakra meditating on suggestion, and I can see how this would be effective in healing. I'm not going to cover the different energies as that is beyond the scope of this post. To keep it simple, we first need to be able to calm our minds. My meditating has reached beyond the simple breathing meditations, but when I first started, they were more than I could handle, for the simple fact that I wasn't comfortable with being just with myself without all the other factors of life to define me. Meditation has helped calm my mind and spirit so that I may meditate on the truths and obtain a more clear sense of reality versus a perception of reality.
Peace and happiness.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
YES I did cover the Chakra energy centers in another blog-did you check it out and see if its the same as your insight??? That's why I put links up, BUT do you have a book you used or is there a video technique you use for the breathing I do have a book Missy loaned me called the Miracle of Breath and I have really really loved it-it covers a kind of labor-ish breath to try and get you to focus and release and also a gorilla type method-its by Any Caponigro-I truly loved the book-I still have it because I reference it often to get myself centered-its odd sometimes I can meditate without doing the preparatory stuff but sometimes I can't!! But I am new to this whole thing-I would say I have only been meditating since October!!!The Chakra I can do and it does make a HUGE difference for me as far as getting me centered and clearing negative junk- but as far as just silent meditation I am STILL struggling!!!! How long did it take you?
ReplyDeleteI use meditation simply to find a divine, personal connection with my life universe (or GOD)! Just by putting forth the effort of trying, we are sending out a personal message to the universe that we are seeking something more, something higher than ourselves. Even in the beginning moments when it just doesn't feel right, or that our mind isn't quiet enough-there is still an amazing connection made between your soul and the universe! Obviously, the more the mind is at peace, and the body can relax, you will feel the connection more-but no matter what, as long as the intent is there, so is the healing effects! It may be easier for those who focus so much on ENLIGHTENMENT that they get intimidated before they start, let ENLIGHTENMENT be a long term goal-something that comes naturally when you are spiritually ready! But first focus on the baby steps of just first connecting yourself to your universe, or your God. There is never a right or a wrong way, it is definitely a personal journey for your soul! We can only make suggestions that have worked for ourselves and our own personal mission-but it doens't mean we have all the answers for everyone/every belief system-just personal thoughts! With Love and Light
ReplyDeleteI must add, that I absolutely LOVE Genes explanation of what meditation is, and the benefits from it in our world! There are so many benefits, and not only do they benefit us, but everyone around us as well!
ReplyDelete