I started meditating about two years ago. I was going through a divorce and was trying to find my purpose in life, and wanted to better myself, and get to know myself better. I had tried several different religions, and I was still very unhappy. I wanted to get into shape physically, so I bought a book called "The Shaolin Workout" which teaches kung-fu. Interestingly enough, it not only teaches how to get in shape physically, but also mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. It incorporates meditation, so I thought I would try it.
The real reason for this post... I started meditating, and I would every day because I thought I was doing something wrong. As I started learning how to calm my mind and my spirit, and how to listen, I got away from doing it every day. I found guides who at first gave me simple answers, then as my spirit grew and developed, the answers became less clear, more complex. I felt I was on top of the world, I knew who I was as a person, and I was happy with myself.
Over the last couple weeks, I meditated once. It was when I wasn't doing very well, feeling down, and couldn't focus. So I meditated yesterday, felt better, I'm happy again, but don't feel as though I'm meditating enough.
So, what I would like is some opinions from those of you who meditate. How often do you meditate, on a set schedule, or just when you're seeking calm, focus, peace, or answers?
Peace and happiness to you all!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Mediation in the beginning seemed for hard for me! I put so much focus on doing it just right, that I couldn't ever get my mind to stop processing life in general! I took a mediation class from a friend who taught me simple meditations with just a few hand symbols for body, mind, and spirit, and nothing more than the sun or a candle, and deep breathing. By focusing my energy on the light, it allowed my mind to actually stop, and my whole being to relax and listen! In the beginning, I was much like you, meditating all the time, every night, but it actually turned in to where my balance was off, too much mediation, and not enough focus on the reality of what was going on around me? Does that make sense? So I felt balancing was important, even with mediation! I started to do an every other day or evening mediation until I could shut my mind off to listen with out it! Now I simply mediate only when I feel out of balance, or can't shake negativity of find forgiveness for a person or situation! Sometimes only once a week or once every other week! I try to listen to my body to tell me when I'm due for some medtiating. It seems everyone is different, but I think there isn't a better way to know than by paying attention to our moods and energy level!
ReplyDeleteThank you Missy for bringing up the balance topic! Paying attention to ourselves is so important. That makes perfect sense.
ReplyDeleteI agree I do it when I need the balance and I find if I don't make time for it-I can be in big trouble!! I do find a tweaking once a week for me is just a must, I think because I am an introvert and people wear me down. I use a lead chakra meditation once a week, it focuses on the notes for each chakras, so C is the base or root, then D is the Sacral and E is Solar plexus and so on all the way up to the crown chakra, I am not sure if you have tried chakra healing or not! But if you haven't you may find you love it!!! I actually hummmmmm the tone so it resonates throughout my body and heals and clears each chakra. The meditation I use also focus' on a grounding method, which is a BIG issue for me. I find I use the grounding part whenever I feel I need it-which is more than I'd like to admit here LOL LOL!!!! But meditating for answers and insight is something I do when I can tell there is someone trying to get through to me, I am getting better at sensing when messages need to be delivered. I think sometimes however, we need to have people in our lives who we can talk to and bounce off of when we feel challenged. It really helps to gain perspective when you bounce it off of others who see life through similar eyes!!!
ReplyDelete